Private sector business recommendations on the new investment policy.
ACAIT – Private Sector Recommendations on New Investment Policy, in meeting with Government at TradeInvest Timor-Leste, on May 5, 2017.
[read more=”Continue” less=”Read Less”
- Need to incorporate in the new investment policy, regulation on foreign Workers and the need to create mechanisms to establish criteria about know-how and technical ability/skill acquired for Foreign Workers. In reality, local and foreign companies bringing in many foreigners workers who have low sills levels that causing unhealthy competition in the labor market, since the local workers lose their jobs and ability to compete with foreigners that can cause a rise of local unemployment and negative impact on timorese household income.
- The government need to improve quality of education and vocational training with the aim at providing skills reacquired in the labor market. To do so, the Government need to review curriculum modules of training to correspond to the different Job Skills acquired in the labor market. Meanwhile, we still rely on foreign workers due to luck of medium and high skills among timorese workers.
- The national Procurement Laws tender public projects reinforce Local Contents due to the law itself considers the content of Public Projects is 5% but in reality has not yet implemented Clause is properly since the company and National holds been works in continued without the Local Contents and also provide benefits for our local entrepreneurs.
- Need to improve telecommunication infrastructure and regulating market competition on telecommunication providers so can open up to more investment opportunities that can offer good quality service for consumers, business and investors alike and lowering communication and internet cost.
- Need to improve Human Resources to operationalize systems in the Port of Dili so it can improve quality services to facilitate commercial activity (Import and Export), reducing costs and Dwelling-Time.
- The Banks and Financial Institutions need to provide loans to private sector to invest and diversify the economy and provide credits with low interest rate in order to ease access to credit system by Micro and Small business.
- The Government need to create the limit term for allocating land to investors, so if in case of project/work is not implemented, the Government can take back permission use and open opportunities for other investors.
- Need to reinforce the implementation criteria on the new Private Investment Law which define investors by the investment capital, creating jobs for Timorese and tranfer of know-how.
- Need to review the immigration law on issuing Tourism Visas since it causes problems related to the entry of illegal workers and foreigners who come as a tourist also can do business and work here in Timor-Leste.